Monsignor Henry Francis Holbrook, (Parish Priest of St Joseph’s Grey Lynn) purchased the land here for our Parish. In 1929 our Church was built. The Priests from St Joseph’s celebrated our Masses here.
The Church seconded as a Classroom for over 50 children during week days. The Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart (based at St Josephs in Grey Lynn) ran the school. After Mass on a Sunday, Parishioners would transform the Church into 2 partitioned classrooms for the School week and then transform it back into a place of worship ready for the weekend. This continued for around 10 years.
In February 1930 the church-school at Pt Chevalier was completed and over 50 children were enrolled on the opening day. This church-school was the present church building in Montrose St. Older parishioners have memories of transporting the extra forms in and out of the building before and after Sunday Mass. It was divided into two classrooms and a sanctuary by folding partitions.
In February 1940, Pt Chevalier became a Parish in its own right after once belonging to the Grey Lynn parish. Early in March a special gathering took place to thank Msgr Holbrook for his years of care for the parish. His curate, Father Charles Quinn, received special mention after being responsible for the Pt Chevalier parish.
The new parish priest was Father J C O’Reilly. He wasted no time in getting the parish on a solid footing and by July Bishop Liston blessed the convent and the new infant school block that was built.
In March 1943, Father O’Reilly saw his presbytery blessed and opened. He had succeeded in acquiring the 3 sections between the convent and Montrose St. The old house in the center became the presbytery.
On September 26, 1948, the church-school became a church only. The school had a role of 227 and two large army huts temporarily became schoolrooms and a hall.The church was remodeled, with a new ceiling and sanctuary.
The temporary classrooms ” army huts” were to stay for 17 years. The Sisters of St Joseph used to come from Grey Lynn to teach, they were held in special affection by the parishioners.
In 1963 Father O’Reilly was transferred to Papatoetoe and Father V Cortney took his place until Father G Marinovich came to the Point from the cathedral.
By 1965 the temporary school buildings were in an advanced state of decomposition and a new school was urgently needed. The church once again was to take second place.
In February 1966 a new school was opened and the connection with the Sisters of St Joseph was broken after seeing the new school come to completion. They had already gifted the convent to the parish.
The Sisters of the Holy Faith took over the school and convent at the beginning of 1966.
The Pt Chevalier parish included the Oakley Hospital for psychiatric patients where Father O’Reilly was the chaplain to the hospital as well as parish priest for most of his time at Pt Chevalier.
“Parish Priests 1963-2006”
1989 – 1991 Terry Fitzpatrick
1992 – 1997 Patrick Brady
1998 – 1999 James Meehan
2000 – 2005 Nicholas Alleman
2006 – 2014 Maurice Ford